Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Give the people what they want. And deep fry it.

GO. START NOW.

I've been toying with the idea of kicking this thing off for a while now, but my biggest hurdle has been writing the first post. What's my angle going to be? Will people read it? Is the orange wallpaper conducive to sticking around for a while, perhaps even returning? Should I be travelling right up my own rectum, and the rectum of a few close others and discuss obscure Jamaican recording artists and Italian film directors? Or should I post pictures of Megan Fox and Scarlett Johansson and describe in detail my proposed involvement in some kind of human sandwich?

Too much thinking & not enough doing. Honestly it's the story of my life.

Here we are, and I'm stoked to have kicked this off. I hope you enjoy my angle on life, and I'd like nothing more than for you to contribute where you can. Right now I'm assuming I know about 5% of how to operate this thing, so expect a bit of tweaking in the future as I get more of a handle on things. I'm expecting good food, good music and good cinema to be a running theme... though who knows where this'll go.

For starters, I'll leave you with this culinary breakthrough: around a week ago news broke that an American by the name of Ron Davis had "cracked the code." Now, before all you glass barbecue toting conspiracy theorists get a wee 9/11 stiffy, the code in question is in fact a culinary one...

The story goes that years ago Davis, an amatuer yet avid home chef like myself, was challenged by his wife to try and unravel one of the most closely guarded secrets in the world of food (and commerce): what exactly are KFC's eleven herbs and spices?

In his quest Douglas gained some satisfaction in his new found hobby by 'unlocking' recipes from other chains, though the Colonel's spice rack remained chaste: until recently...

What comes as no surprise to me, is that three of the ingredients are salt, or variants thereof. We've got run of the mill (no pun intended) salt, garlic powder, which, despite its title is indeed a salt, and third product called 'Accent.'

For those of you wondering what the Accent, the eleventh of the 'herbs' and 'spices' is, it is in fact the crack-cocaine of the salt family, Monosodium Glutamate.

Actually, in saying that I continue to proliferate the uninformed paranoia that often surrounds MSG. There's actually very little scientific evidence to back up claims that it is an across the board nasty, and like with all salts this author would recommend moderation. Upon investigating how MSG got such a bad rep, it would appear it all began in the USA with 'Chinese Restaraunt Syndrome' paranoia in the late 1960s. Considering the harmonious cosmipolitan society America was at this time, it's fairly easy to see how our yellow friends were so quickly implicated...

Anyway, back to the recipe. I've tested it (and tested it again) and really is the genuine article. I recommend you buy some of that pre-packed coleslaw from the supermarket, who seemed to have cracked that recipe years ago, and work on cracking the potato and gravy code. Anybody who's got the skinny on how to make the latter just like the Colonel, please drop me a line. We can unify and fry.

How can this not be a revolution? Have you ever met anybody who doesn't like fried chicken?

2 comments:

Lewis Tennant said...

OKfor those of you who've written down the ingredients from the link above, and are wondering how to actually cook this, watch this rather good instructional video:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/video/2009/jul/24/food-and-drink-chicken

BOH!

Jak Pepsi said...

Closest thing to KFC mash... Whip up some 'Deb' instant mash potato powder, Top with Maggi plain flavoured instant gravy. Then someone find me the no cholesterol, fat free version of fried chicken and I'm in. Maybe I can have it bi-annually, maybe just on Elvis's bday...

Post a Comment